Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Do you still write letter?

There was a time I saw this huge letter box somewhere that I can’t remember where exactly now. The first thing that comes to my mind was; are there people who still write and post letter besides letter for businesses?

I have not write letter for long time. I remembered I wrote to friends and cousins when I was in primary school telling them how I am getting around in school. There were lots of puzzles whenever I want to post my letters. I do not know which side to write sender’s address and recipient’s address, I do not where I should paste the stamps etc. Later on, my cousin taught me through letter the correct way of doing this. I referred back to the same letter whenever I am confused.

I remember the excitement of waiting for letter. Normally, it takes about 2-3 weeks for a person to reply. I am the first to approach the postman whenever he came by my house. Letters will never get into the letter box if I were at home. Then, I screened through all the letters to see whether there is any for me.

From the writing on envelop, I can roughly guest who the sender is and I got it right most of the time. The excitement is always there whenever I received letters because it’s been long waited for. Besides, this was the only way we kept in touch at that time due to the lack of communication tools such as mobile phone, internet and etc that is easily accessible nowadays.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Letter box

I kept all letters in a box and I read it one by one when I am free. I enjoy reading letters. It refreshed my memory of how we got along together. I imagined what have been discussed in the letters and I do not feel bored after reading it again and again.

Now, I do not write letter anymore. Reason being, there are lots of communication ways to keep in touch with others. Whenever I miss someone, I can call them through mobile phone. When I need a simple reply, I send sms. When I need to update on certain activities progress, I send e-mail. When I want to share my photo, I send them my photo link. When I am bored and looking for someone to chat, I log on to MSN, YM. This is so convenient and I can get immediate response.

But, I missed something. The excitements of hearing from others do no longer exist. And strange to realize that, although communication can be done in a very effective way, my list of friend is getting shorter. The time spend with family lessen simply because I spend more time in front of these IT gadgets. People stay in the same house but they do not open their mouth to talk. Rather, they talk through spaces like instance messengers. They do not see each other face in real everyday but rather, seeing their photos they posted in website. Doesn’t this sound strange? But, this is to be continued because I can’t stay away from these.

Isn’t talking through IM better than no talking at all? YES. Isn’t seeing photos better than not seeing at all? YES. Isn’t call a lot faster and closer than writing letter? YES

Although I am a little bit emotional when I saw this letter box, but I am not going back to the old time again. I will leave a space in my mind for this sweet memory.


*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are entirely based on my personal point of view and some light reading. This shall not be treated as reference and recommendation. Nobody shall be liable for any discomforts or side effects caused by the act as discussed above

No comments: